06 July 1997

Day 23 - Ellsworth, NE to Whitman, NE

Distance travelled: 41 miles
Winds: strong head
Grades: almost level
Weather: fair
Condition of roads: bad
Delays: Bicycles – 0/ Tires – 0/ Lunch –4h / Other – 3h 30m
Actual travel time: 7h 30m
Rate per hour: 5.5 mph
- Lt. J.A. Moss Report to the Adjutant Synopsis of the Trip

Places mentioned: Ellsworth [5 a.m.]; Hyannis [arrived 12 nooon- left at 5 p.m.]; Whitman [arrived 8 p.m.]

Lt. J.A. Moss Report to the Adjutant Synopsis of the Trip
Twenty-Fifth Infantry Bicycle Corps Reaches Alliance, Nebraska
Have Nine Hundred Miles More to Cover in
Order to Reach St. Louis, Missouri
Alliance, Neb., Jul. 6 –[Special to the Daily Missoulian]—The Twenty-fifth infantry bicycle corps left here this morning having arrived here yesterday [July 5], completing the first 1,000 miles of the journey, having to go 900 miles yet to reach St. Louis. After leaving the mountainous country the roads improved somewhat, but dust was encountered where mud was lacking. The heat is also growing in intensity and the remainder of the trip promises to be under a sweltering sun. The men are in good spirits and health, and though some of them seemed to be trained down pretty fine, they are strong and active and able to make forced marches if necessary. But few accidents have occurred and they of the most trivial nature easily remedied. The corps will go by easy stages through Kansas and Missouri unless some particular location wants to be reached, when rapid rides will be made, roads permitting.”
-E.H. Boos, Daily Missoulian A Thousand Miles [Missoula, MT] July 7, 1897

A troop of twenty colored infantry arrived at Hyannis Tuesday noon on bicycles. They came from Ft. Missoula, Mont., and are bound for St. Louis. They are riding the “Spaulding” bicycle, a test to determine whether or not wheels would be preferable to horses for army work. It was extremely hot when the boys arrived here, and a very few were somewhat fatigued owing to alkali water which does not agree with them, but they were standing the heat mighty well. They took dinner here and resumed their journey in the evening.

- The Grant County Tribune [Hyannis, NE] July 9, 1897

“An early start was made on the morning of the 6th in order to get as far as possible before the heat became intense. The monotony of the track was only broken by the sight of a rabbit or other insignificant object until a rattlesnake glided between the doctor’s legs and into the grass to one side to be shot just as he was raising his ugly head to strike. Knowledge of the fact that rattlesnakes were in the vicinity set the men to watching and the snake stories told that day were numerous.
Hyannis was reached at noon by the greater part of the corps, a sick brigade coming up a little later. At this place we drew rations and stopped for lunch. We left Hyannis at 5 o’clock in two sections, one of well men under command of the writer and one of sick men under Dr. Kennedy: the former body reached Whitman at 8 o’clock and went into camp, and had supper in a short time. The latter squad arrived at 12 o’clock that night. A distance of 41 miles was covered after a very hard day’s work.
EDW H. Boos Official Reporter”
Daily Missoulian Received a Welcome, July 24, 1897

Cyclists Reach Whitman. Whitman, Neb., July 7. -- After 11 hours of hard work the 25th infantry bicycle corps arrived at this place at 8:30 last evening. They started at 5 a.m. from Ellsworth, and were in Hyannis by noon, a distance of 28 miles. A number of the men are sick from drinking alkali water on the road and this has caused considerable delay.’
-The Evening News [Lincoln, NE], Wednesday July 7, 1897

No comments: